Friday, 16 September 2011

‘There's a party goin' on right here...

...A celebration to last throughout the years

So bring your good times, and your laughter too

We gonna celebrate your party with you’*

Just like hurricane/tornado season in the US and the rainy season in various parts of South East Asia, I am about to embark upon party season... a combination of birthdays and other celebrations that runs from my husband’s birthday on the 15th September right through until New Year. And in my family we take our party season very seriously... Very seriously indeed. In fact, it’s on the verge of becoming a competitive pursuit... In the run up to the commencement of party season, preparation and inspiration is key. So, this week I have been out and bought a dazzling array of wrapping papers, bows, ribbons and other miscellaneous decorations. Enough in fact to see me all the way through to Xmas and beyond - I have the resources at my disposal to professionally wrap just about anything - I even wrapped the dog last night. What’s really disappointing is that many of the shops I have been visiting this week have already got a ‘Christmas Aisle’ - what happened to Halloween??? Actually, I even saw my first Xmas advert on the tellybox this week... maybe I’m becoming a bit cynical, but it’s all getting a bit commercial - that said, I’m not particularly worried - I’m materialistic and I love any excuse for nice presents (and lots of them).

As I said, it was my husband’s birthday yesterday (so I’m a bit jaded this morning) and in trying to find inspiration for decorating the house I found these images and it reminded me of the zigzag streamers that my Mum used to make for our birthdays when I was a child. I wanted to share them because they are absolute genius and, like most great ideas, they are very simple and very effective... note, this is a relatively low level category of genius - definitely not in the same category of genius as, for example, nuclear fusion and solving the global energy crisis.

I just love how fabulous this room looks with all the zigzag streamers hanging from the ceiling - it’s a great way of making your loved ones feel special without costing the earth! It’s also another little Blue Peter project for you (and the kids)...


Images from Oh Happy Day

Step 1. Buy lots of large pieces of paper in bright colours. The brighter the better...

Step 2. Cut them into long rectangular strips

Step 3. Along one side, cut into the paper, but not all the way through (and repeat every 5cm until you have reached the other end). This is the most important step in the process - if you get this wrong you will end up with large confetti rather than streamers...

Step 4. Turn the paper over and along the other side cut into the paper between the existing cuts, but again not cut all the way through...

Don’t worry if your cutting is not particularly straight, or if the distances vary slightly - it will still look fantastic and you will have inadvertantly created a ‘bespoke cut streamer’ - you can charge more for these...

Step 5. Pull either end of the piece of paper and, rather amazingly, you will have your zigzag streamer..

I just love it!

So, I’m off to set up my streamer manufacturing plant - I need many, many, many zigzag streamers to get me through to the New Year. All these parties are just so exhausting (and, just to make things even worse, we’re about to embark upon London Design Week, which isn’t exactly a sober affair). I suspect by the time I stumble drunkenly into 2012 I’m going to be more in the mood for An Emotional Fish rather than Kool and the Gang...

‘Let’s celebrate

This party’s over

I’m going home.’**

*’Celebration’ - Kool and the Gang **’Celebrate’ - An Emotional Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...